Monday, February 8, 2010

Day 100 & Cherry Blossoms

Today was our 100th day of school! We celebrated by reading a 100 day book, doing 100 different exercises, writing about how to spend $100, making jello with 100 gummy bears swimming inside of the bowl, creating a trail mix of 100 different snacks and adding up dice to see who could get to 100 first. Overall, it was a fun day! I love being a teacher on days like today when the students are excited to learn =)


On saturday, I went with Jessica and a few of her church friends up north to Nago to see the cherry blossoms. Saturday was the closing ceremony for the cherry blossom festival, so even though it was raining, I didn't want to miss my last chance to see the blossoms. The cherry blossom "season" and festivals are only three weeks long. There are various cherry blossom festivals up north, all of which had their closing ceremonies on Saturday. I have been seeing cherry blossoms all around the island, some in the streets in front of my apartment and some along the beach where I go running. The cherry blossoms in Okinawa are all pink, I have not seen any white ones.
The area we went to was different then where I had been a few weeks ago. This festival had food and shops but no games or playground area for kids. Most of the trees were bloomed and looked gorgeous! A lot different than the first time I went to see them. There weren't as many trees as I had imagined but it was still a sight worth seeing. We when first arrived, we went inside a building to watch a traditional Japanese singing and dance show. We then paid to walk through the Nakijin-Jo castle ruins where the cherry blossoms were located. Luckil,y the rain lightened up while we were watching the show, I didn't have an umbrella and had to use my jacket hood as protection. The castle ruins area was small but had a great view of the ocean. After strolling around and taking a few pictures, we went into the castle ruins museum. Everything was in Japanese so it was a bit frustrating not being able to read anything. There was some neat photos of Okinawa in the 50's and 60's along with Okinawan tools and artifacts. It was a fun day, I'm glad I was able to see the cherry blossoms on more than one occasion.







Sunday it rained all day, as soon as it stopped, I went out running in the cold. Probably not a good idea because now I am blowing my nose and sneezing every few minutes. Tonight I bought some soup and orange juice and have been drinking lots of gatorade. Hopefully I will get better within the next few days, before my long weekend begins!

Monday at 7 am was the super bowl for us here, the radio kept making announcements "Super Bowl Party, Monday at 7 am." HAHA, military stationed here actually had the day off for the super bowl!
The weather was in the 70's today and tomorrow it's supposed to be in the 80's! I hope the cold weather is gone for good. We will be celebrating Valentine's day on Friday, more pictures to come =)
If I don't get to talk to you, happy Valentine's day to you all. My life is blessed by your love =)

XOXO
Kristen

P.S. I couldn't even finish this blog before it started raining outside, thunder, lightening and all! So much for being hopeful about the nice weather tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment