Friday, April 9, 2010

Hawaii Bound

Today I completed 3rd quarter parent-teacher conferences and ended of my first week in the 4th and final quarter of the school year. Woo hoo! The parents were very friendly and supportive which I'm always thankful for.
I rewarded my 2nd graders with a treat for not receiving any D's or F's on their report cards for the 3rd quarter. Hopefully they will be able to keep it up. A first grader was just added to the 2nd grade class in hopes she will be able to start 3rd grade next year. So far, it does not look like that is going to happen. She is great in 1st grade but not up to par with 2nd grade curriculum....not yet anyway.

I had a relaxing week last week, got a nice massage and pedicure at the famous Okinawan salon "Cocok's." It lasted two hours and was at great Easter treat to myself. Sadly, I didn't get to go to church on Easter. I waited at the gate for Lori to sign me on base and she didn't show up. I should have double checked with her beforehand considering it was Easter but she didn't answer my phone call that day. I was very disappointed but nothing I could do.
I'm finally rested and recovered from my visitors, so I started my workout routine again this week. I went jogging near my apartment and found some great sets of stairs to utilize at a nearby park. The weather was very humid for a few days this past week, then got cold and rainy, today it rained but is beautiful out now.
Many of my students were sick this week, lots of coughing and runny noses. I told them there weren't allowed to be sick until spring break =) I had at least 4 students out each day this week, with 7 students being out on Thursday alone. And these weren't sick students. These students started Japanese school this week and will continue Japanese school through next week (our spring break) then return back here when our spring break is over. Kids sure are put to work in Japan =)
One first grade student and a few students in upper grades left our school last week, to start Japanese school permanently. It's sad that the school is losing students so late in the year.

I bought my last set of dishes yesterday and am now all packed and ready for Hawaii! Rocky will drop me off at the airport for my 6 pm flight tomorrow (Saturday). I will return to Okinawa on Sunday night at 10:30 pm, meaning I'll have a very tiring Monday but it will be worth it =)
I talked to my mom today and she was at the doctor getting medicine for a bad cold. I hops she feels better before it's time for her to leave. She has two days left to go. We are both excited. I talked to my friend who lives in Oahu and she recommended some great tourist sites and restaurants. I need to exchange my yen to dollars today and then I'm officially set to go!
I most likely won't be blogging while I'm gone but I'll at least post a little something to let you know we arrived safely and that my mom is feeling better (keep her in your prayers please).

Sayonara/Aloha!
XOXO
Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment