Thursday, October 1, 2009

Exploring Nature in Okinawa

Last Saturday, Rocky (Japanese teacher), Lori (kinder teacher), her two daughters, Izzy and Carolyn (Carolyn is in my class), Dennis (a 3rd grade student from our school who Lori was babysitting), Michael/Sara (the couple from Georgia), Jessica and I went to Taa-Taki waterfall. It's about an hour and a half drive up north from my apartment (I live in Chatan Town). It was a beautiful morning and I was excited to get some exercise in.

Here we are starting the hike
We trekked through the water most of the hike, it didn't get more than a few feet deep. Luckily, Lori lent me a pair of water shoes.
Perfect picture spot! You can barely see the water but it's there.
Izzy, Dennis and I leading the way
After an easy 20 minutes of hiking, we arrived to the waterfall...BEAUTIFUL!
I was the first to brave climbing under the waterfall....liberating!
Sitting under the falls. The water was cool but felt perfect!The area in front of the falls was deep enough to swim in.
Jessica, Dennis and I....he looks a little cold!Roommate pictureI wish I was wearing my swimsuit instead of my hiking gear!
I can't get enough of the sky here! View of the sky, from the waterfall area.We ate a picnic lunch, swam under the falls and laid out to dry off our clothes. It wasn't really a hike, hike, more like a nature walk. It was beautiful nonetheless and I can't wait to go back before the weather cools down.

After the falls, we quickly showered and headed to Camp Foster, where Lori signed us in to go bowling. I got a 103, woohoo. Sad that it was the highest score of the night. haha.
Jessica and I putting on our game faces.

Friday night, Rocky took us to a free, salsa dancing lesson, at camp Foster. I told him I liked salsa dancing and found out that he is a salsa instructor! One of the best on the island at that! I was a little nervous about the lesson, unsure of the style of salsa in Okinawa. Since the lesson was on base, it was mostly Americans with an American instructor. The style of salsa the instructor taught, is very similar to the style I learned in the states. The men rotated around the room so we got a chance to dance with a variety of people during the lesson. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. It was a nice little workout and the people were all so friendly. I will definitely be going back, being there made it more evident that I have a lot of practice to do!
Sorry if you got your hopes up for the salsa video I promised in my last blog...I didn't like the video so I decided not to post it. I will post a video when/if my moves improve =)

Looking forward to October 1st tomorrow =)

XOXO

Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment