Monday, December 7, 2009

Tokyo Disney

Saturday morning, we slept in a bit and ate continental breakfast at a restaurant on the 39th floor of our hotel.  The restaurant was surrounded with windows which gave us a panoramic view of Tokyo. The breakfast included eggs, yogurt, fruit, breads, cereal. I loaded up on fruit and yogurt, I don't think it's ever tasted so good (fresh fruit is hard to come by in Okinawa).We confirmed our subway directions with the guest relation desk and headed to Tokyo Disney. We switched subway lines a few times and arrived to Tokyo Disney 30 minutes later.

Subway ride to Tokyo Disney.

I was SO excited to finally arrive!
Walkway from the subway to the park. The building here is Disney Hotel.
Disney Tram.
Disney cast member greeting us.
We made it!

Ticket counter...the lack of lines make it very much unlike Disneyland! Prices were comparable, we paid 5800 yen for a one day ticket ($58.00), so pretty much the same price as Disneyland, with the exchange rate. Food and souvenir prices were seemed to be comparable as well.
And we're in!


Main street has a roof!

Main Street seems smaller but maybe it was just me.

View when exiting Main Street.
Classic Statue
Princess castle
We started in Adventure land and made our way through each land, choosing our favorite rides.

In line for our first ride (Jungle Cruise) I quickly noticed that I was much taller than everyone.
Even though we couldn't understand our guide, he was hilarious!

It's still called Swiss Family Treehouse at this park, not Tarzan's Treehouse.
Pirates of the Caribbean show.
Pirates of the Caribbean, similar ride but not as many Jack Sparrow's placed throughout the ride. When Jessica and I first got in line, we were pleasantly surprised to see some familiar faces....Kathi and her family (the military family from San Diego that Jessica's friend was a nanny for)! We got in line with them and got to visit for a bit, it was a great surprise! We knew they were at the park but didn't know if we'd be able to meet up with them. It was definitely weird but so nice seeing someone familiar in Tokyo!
Line for Pirates of the Caribbean. 
I  was craving Blue Buyou and was so happy to see that they had it. I ate a salmon, snow crab, scallop, cheese dish that was perfect!
Inside Blue Bayou
We road the train, it didn't stop at various places throughout the park. It just went around the park and stopped back at the starting point.
The castle looked bigger than Disneyland at home, not sure if it actually was bigger or not.
I didn't go on the riverboat but this area looked VERY similar to Disneyland.
This little boy was so cute with his Mickey pants!
"It's a Small World" 
The inside entrance was very cute and detailed. 

Cast members of "It's a Small World"

Big Thunder Mountain was closed =(

Space Mountain, the inside was very cool!


Standing in line for Space Mountain, this couple was watching TV on a hand held device and sharing earphones. Only in Japan! We pretended to take the picture of me.

There were a lot of popcorn stands with different flavors: chocolate, salt, carmel and soy sauce!I had to try the soy sauce popcorn, just because I knew I wouldn't get the chance again. 

It tasted better than I expected, very salty with a hint of a soy flavor.

Autopia, right hand drive and the seats were WAY closer to the pedals! Very uncomfortable!
Our last ride of the night, Whinny the Pooh, very cute! At one point the "bowl of honey" we rode in bounced up and down like we were on a trampoline.
By the time it got dark, we were exhausted, but in a good way. We watched the castle light up and saw the firework show before heading out.

It was a beautiful day, the weather was perfect! The Christmas decorations and music made it feel like home. I couldn't find Indiana Jones on the map and was sad when a worker informed me that Indiana Jones is at Disney Sea. We also found out there was no Matterhorn. My favorite rides were: The Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Whinny the Pooh & Space Mountain. Overall, the park was very clean and people were not pushy, at all. There didn't seem to be as many food places/snack stands. I didn't find any frozen bananas, frozen lemondate or ice cream sandwich Mickey's but I survived =) It was a fun day and I'm so glad I went!

Today is Monday and my students weren't as hyper today as they were last week, thank goodness! I spent most of the weekend relaxing, catching up on sleep and skyping. Saturday night, I watched "Santa Clause 2" and "Santa Clause 3" at Lori's and Sunday night I finished my Christmas shopping at the base exchange after Church. It was just the weekend I needed after a long, hectic week of unruly students.

Two more days of Tokyo to report....it's coming along slowly =)

XOXO

Kristen

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed seeing the photos of your trip to Tokyo. I lol at the little boy with the mickey pants on! Too funny! I'm counting down the days until you come home...12 more! Yah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH How fun!!! Nice pix...we need to catch up when u get back...love ya! Anita

    ReplyDelete