Sunday, January 24, 2010

Anita's First Weekend in Okinawa

Before I get to the details of my fun times with Anita;
I "officially" became a teacher today......one of my students threw up in my lap this afternoon!!!!! YUCK YUCK YUCK!
With 30 minutes left in the school day, I had my reading group go back to their seats because one girl started crying while she was reading. I had to ask her to focus a few times while reading, so I thought she was just upset about getting in trouble, which is very typical for this student. When she started crying I had her come next to me, put my arm around her and asked what was wrong. Before she could say a word, she leaned over and threw up, all over my jacket, down my pants, in her hair, on the carpet and all over the tile. Luckily, it was clean up time, so Sarah took over as my student and I headed to the bathroom. After cleaning up, my student said she felt better. Meanwhile, I had to mop up the throw up (how much I now appreciate public school janitors!). I was able to come right home and wash my pants. I forgot my jacket at school so that will be waiting for me tomorrow =(
To top things off, when I finished cleaning, my class was walking outside for dismissal, when passing the same student, I asked her how she felt, she stopped and threw up AGAIN! This time it didn't land on me and there was a trash can nearby. Poor thing. I was sick to my stomach on the ride home from work, smelling the throw up on my clothes the whole way home. Now that I'm all cleaned up, I can laugh at the story and truly feel that I've been welcomed into the teacher-hood! =)

Anita's First Few Days in Okinawa:
Anita left Okinawa on Sunday afternoon, it was a sad goodbye but we had a wonderful time together. After a good nights sleep Friday night (1/15) we woke up Saturday morning ready to explore the island. We headed up north to Nago. Our agenda; The Aquarium, Pineapple Factory and the Butterfly Garden. Since I've already been to these places a few times, I felt like a pro not getting lost on the drive up!
Our first stop was the aquarium. We decided to skip the inside of the aquarium and stuck to exploring the outside area (which is free). I saw a group of Japanese men standing around so I asked them if they would like me to take a picture of them. They happily accepted, then this gentlemen asked Anita and I to take a picture with him. His friends all laughed as they took pictures of us with several cameras.
We watched a really cool dolphin show. The backdrop of the ocean and Japanese music during the show made it even better!
It was a chilly day out so we made sure to sit in the no splash zone.
The ocean water was actually still warm.

You probably recognize this photo spot from my pictures at the aquarium with Rachel. Even though it was not sunny and warm like the last time, it still made for a beautiful picture spot!
After about an hour at the aquarium, we drove a few miles down the road to the Butterfly Garden. The sun was hidden in the clouds and the sky was gorgeous!
This time, in addition to red hats, they had blue hats for us to wear. I didn't know that blue attracted butterflies too, hmmm.
Since I was wearing long pants, tennis shoes and long sleeves, I was much less scared of the butterflies crawling on me this time around!

We spend a few minutes at the garden then traveled a few more miles to the Pineapple Factory! My personal favorite =) We sampled the wines and food, Anita bought a few things. This was the first time I didn't buy anything! The pineapple champagne is hands down my favorite, I will definitely be buying a few bottles to take home again =)
This Pineapple Factory worker had a full on mullet! We had to get a picture!
On the way back from Pineapple Factory, I had to stop by the Busena resort to show Anita my favorite spot to watch the sunset. By this point, it was almost 5 pm and was very cold (well, in the 50's anyway). We stayed about a half hour and took a few pictures. The sun ended up hiding behind clouds before setting, so we didn't get to experience the full sunset. Still beautiful nonetheless.
We arrived back to my apartment around 7pm, took a nap from 8-10pm then headed out to a salsa bar. Rocky was helping work in his friends salsa bar that night, so we met up with him around midnight. In Okinawa, people don't start getting to salsa clubs until after 11 pm and the clubs stay open until 7 am! We stayed at the first bar for an hour, then Rocky took us to a different bar in Naha (about 30 minutes away). Rocky brought his friend Charles who grew up in L.A. but moved to Okinawa for work, four years ago. Rocky and Charles are both very good salsa dancers so it was nice to have them teach us some moves.
Anita, Charles and I at the salsa club
We got back to my apartment from the salsa club at 7 am, just as Jessica was getting up for church! It was a fun, tiring night out!
We had a few more adventures the during the rest of the week. I'll post those pictures within the next few days. I just got in from running and I'm sore, tried and ready for bed and it's not even 9 pm! Ugh, old age (or maybe it's the throw up) =)

XOXO
Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment