Sunday, June 6, 2010

Memorial Day-Cape Hedo

On Memorial Day, Rocky organized a trip to Cape Hedo, the northern most tip of the island. I have always heard great things about Cape Hedo, so I was looking forward to the trip. Rocky picked me up at 9 am and we met Lori's family, the school secretary, her daughter and friend and the kindergarten aide to caravan up north. It was another rainy, humid day but since it was our last day off before the school year ends, we decided to follow through with our day as planned.
Before arriving to Cape Hedo, we stopped at Hedo point. There was a nice ocean view.
Luckily, it stopped raining. It was humid and there were lots of mosquitos out but we had a beautiful view.
We took a group photo, then ate lunch at the lookout point.
From left to right; Junko (school secretary), Carolyn (Lori's daughter who is in my class), Junko's daughter's friend, Junko's daugther, me, kindergarten aide, Lori, Lori's daughter, Lori's husband and a third grad boy from our school that Lori babysits. Rocky took the picture.
After eating, I ended up waiting in the car for a few minutes before we left because I was getting bit by bugs, ugh!!
After lunch, we drove as far north as we could go to arrive at Cape Hedo.
Not sure what the sign on this rock said but it looked pretty against the ocean background.
Rocky and the others enjoying the beautiful view.
Luckily, the rain held off for the most part.
The view of the ocean was absolutely gorgeous, the best view I have seen on the entire island!
I am so glad I made the trip to Cape Hedo before leaving the island!
I thought that this sign against the background was so neat.
Snuck a picture of Rocky in.
The scenery was so gorgeous, I had to take lots of pictures.
The best part about living in Okinawa and the one thing I will miss (besides my students) is the breathtaking skies above the shining ocean.
After spending some time at Cape Hedo, we stopped by a small pineapple shop. They had samples of pineapple but the owner told us the pineapple was not ripe, so the pineapple was very sour. We didn't buy anything and headed to Pizza in the Sky. Again I had their delicious vegetable filled salad. There were mosquitos inside and no air conditioning. I got bit a few more times which was annoying. We took the express way the rest of the drive home and it still took us 1 hour and 45 minutes to get back. I was still able to get in bed around 9 pm but it was a long, tiring day. Seeing Cape Hedo made it worth the bug bites =)

This past weekend was my last full weekend in Okinawa. I feel content with all I've done and seen here so I decided to stay in and rest. The weather was rainy and humid (nothing new) so that gave me even more reason to be lazy. I did some laundry, went to the gym and put together pictures for a class slideshow. I packed my large suitcase and will return my extra mattress and pack my bedding on Thursday. I have so much less than I came here with (thank goodness for visitors) so I'm hoping it will be a lighter trip home.
Today is Monday and we are down to two school days! I tore down everything in my classroom and my report cards are almost complete (just waiting on grades from the speciality teachers). At this time next week, I will be home! It still doesn't seem real, I don't know when it will hit me. I printed my itinerary today, picked up my last paycheck and am getting a letter of recommendation from my principal by the end of the week. Things are winding down!
I will update you with pictures from the last day of school and give you the link to my slideshow when it's completed.
Hope your all having a good week, see you in 6 days!

XOXO
Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment