Saturday, August 22, 2009

I'm here, I'm Safe


Josh, Philip, Linsday, Savannah, Paul John, Trav and I saying goodbye at LAX, Thank you for helping me get checked in and carrying my bags...but no thanks for looking back a few times as we departed :(

Sorry it's taken me so long to get this post up, I will have lots more pictures posted on here soon, I promise! If you don't want to read the details you can skip below to my pictures =)

Japan is beautiful, a cross between Hawaii and Jamaica. No trash, anywhere, and everything is lush and green. I have yet to see a house, everyone lives in apartments because it's so crowded. Apartment buildings...all buildings are very old and because of the humidity they look even older. Vending machines galore and humidity like no other. Cars are small but don't go very fast. Met most of the staff from school and many of them are very friendly and helpful in taking care of us and showing us around.

I got internet in my apartment a few nights ago and just got a Skype number which is a 626 number you can call me at anytime, even leave a voicemail and it's free for everyone =)

So much to blog about but I'm sure you don't want to read too many minor details so I'll keep it as short and sweet as possible.

Starting back to Monday, aka, departure day...all 3 of my suitcases and my 2 carry on's met the weight limits at the airport and I checked in without a problem thanks to Paul John, Lindsay, Philip, Josh and Trav all helping me with my luggage. My roommate and I found each other right away. I slept for 8 hours of the 13 hour flight which is abnormal for me but I'm thankful because it made it much easier! Interesting meals served on our flights, we were given a fish/potato sandwich at one point (I ate the bread and cheese). When we arrived to Taiwan for our layover and met a lady from the states who lives part time in Okinawa with her husband who is stationed here. She offered to show us around an gave us her number. Nice way to start the trip off. Landing in Okinawa we had to board a shuttle to take us to the airport terminal. We felt the humidity before even stepping off the plane. Definitely the must humid place I have even been in my life!!

Our principal, his wife, the Japanese teacher and another American teacher were all at the airport to greet us. Unfortunately the van we were picked up in didn't have air conditioning so we experienced the hot, HUMID heat while being crammed together in the car for a few hours. We decided to dive right into Japanese cuisine so the principal treated us to sashimi. Hands down the freshest sushi I have had.

We arrived to our apartment which is all wooden paneling and shaped like a box. We chose our rooms (I got the bigger closet but my room seems to get hotter faster so that makes up for it) and settled in quite nicely (that means showering, putting my sheets, comforter and pillow on my bed and falling asleep). It's definitely comforting to have my bedding from home here =) Jet lag had me up by 5am but I was able to unpack, go for a walk and take pictures all before 8am.

We were picked up and taken to our school campus. There were 2 school buildings last year and there is only one this year which means that EVERYTHING has been combined to one building. I quickly saw how much work needed to be done with supplies galore everywhere you could imagine. I was able to get internet access on campus and made some calls home which made me feel much better.

We ate at a hibachi grill with a few teachers from school Thursday night. Food was good, a lot like hibachi grill in the states. Really different types of soft drinks though, I tried to get Pepsi but ended up with a 7up type of drink that looked like milk. Not too bad though.

We got our car and I drove home from school Friday....WEIRD!!! Right hand drive but you drive on the left side of the road!! I followed the Japanese teacher, Rocky which was must easier than finding my own way on the road. I did well with the exception of my neighbor knocking on my apartment door to let me know I didn't park in my parking space right and he couldn't fit his car in his parking space. I also kept turning on the windshield wipers instead of the blinker. I found mochi ice cream which made me very happy!

I started cleaning up and organizing my classroom with Sarah, the other American teacher who I will be team teaching with. We have A LOT to do but we are getting there. We just can't decide where to place our students desks....teacher dilemma!

I'll update you on today's day soon, hope this is enough information for you for now =) Love and miss you all very much!

Our first view of a "Japanese" style toilet in TaiwanAfter many hours of traveling, my first authentic Japanese meal, sashimi!
The first groceries for our apartment. Yes I know, so very American of us...but it was just to get us through the first few days (and give us a little comfort =)
My bedroom, like the rest of the apartment, all wooden paneling but I got the bigger bedroom with the bigger closet so I'm not complaining =)
My "big" closet =)And I have sliding glass doors that help brighten up my room =)
Small toilet room with a super small sink
Shower room is separate from the toilet room...weird but not bad.
Vending machines on the street right next to our apartment...and EVERYWHERE else!
Back balcony, with Coleman chairs!View from the back balcony...of a junkyard I believe.My roommate, Jessica and I share the Mitsubishi guppy. I've gotten it up to about 50 km so far =)
My first time behind the wheel here! Definitely different but not too difficult.This it the building I'll be teaching in...I won't be teaching or attending beauty school =) This is the new school campus so things are still in the process of getting changed.

5 comments:

  1. Alright, so my first comment disappeared. I'm new to this whole commenting thing, though i've got the blog writing down :) So glad you made it to Okinawa safely. Let me just say how weird it is seeing our apartment on here and knowing that it isn't ours anymore. It's your turn to have adventures there...and you definitely got the better car with guppy! Good luck with school starting and i look forward to hearing all about it! Take care and have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SOOOOOO excited you're living in the wood box and you have guppy instead of Thomas...and I got all sentimental about seeing everything...ahh...glad you got there ok and I feel your pain on the humidity...run the air when you're home and it will all be ok!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently they have really good looking fruits and vegetables in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow it looks awesome! I am so glad that you are there. It sounds like you are enjoying it so far. That is so sweet that the Principal and some of the teachers came to the airport. Has the reality set in yet or does it still feel like a dream? Don't worry you are not missing much here. I subbed twice last week but so far the sub jobs are not looking promising. I really wish I just had something stable. How is the heat today getting any better? Ok well take care and I look forward to reading more. :)
    -Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  5. have people been amazed by you and your beauty yet???

    ReplyDelete